PACO’S ANGEL hasn’t been moving at all well again this week. As you know, we medicated her knees but she has become very scratchy in her movement again and is bordering on being lame.
My Vet Jamie feels that if we medicate her again, in another 10 or so days we will be back to square one. She has been a terrific filly and taken us to some wonderful meetings and big races, so I really don’t want to put her through that and I feel that now is the right time to retire her. To be able to perform at her level she needs to be stretching out well and pain free, unfortunately she isn’t able to do this now and she is deteriorating. She will make a wonderful broodmare, it’s been a thrill and pleasure to train her and I wish her all the best for future.
6 August – 12 August 2018
PACO’S ANGEL looks great and has been walking and trotting since her knees were medicated. She is due to resume cantering again on Monday and I’m hoping to find another race for her at the beginning of September. We just need to be a little careful about the ground for her, as I think she is looking after herself a bit on firm ground now. I have made an entry for a 1m fillies’ Listed race in Sweden on 23 September, it doesn’t look the strongest race so could be a possible target.
30 July – 5 August 2018
PACO’S ANGEL has been a bit stiff since her last run at Newbury. My vet had a look and then took some x-rays of her knees. He couldn’t find anything of any note, just wear and tear, and he has recommended that we medicate them. She will need a couple of easy weeks before we start back with her, she doesn’t take too much getting fit so it shouldn’t hold us up for too long.
PACO’S ANGEL ran a better race at Newbury on Saturday than she did at Pontefract. She had a big weight and I had asked Finley to get some cover and a lead in the race, but if they went no pace at all then he could have her up there. They went hard from the start and she was right up there with no cover and in the end her weight told and she faded in the closing stages, with the other two horses that took each other on suffering the same fate. I wasn’t too disappointed with the run in the circumstances and the Handicapper is likely to drop her rating again tomorrow morning. She has been a bit stiff following the race, but nothing out of the ordinary and she’s essentially fine. You can view the race result at the following link – https://www.racingpost.com/results/36/newbury/2018-07-21/705723
PACO’S ANGEL was squealing in the paddock after her run at Pontefract so I didn’t think there was too much wrong with her. She trotted up great, which she wouldn’t have done if she had exerted herself in the race, and 48 hours after the race she had put on 1kg, when you would normally expect her to have lost several kilos. Her post race scope and blood tests were all good. Pontefract is a funny course and I don’t think she liked the ridges and gave up. It’s not like her, as she is normally so tough and consistent, but I suppose we’re all entitled to an off day. I have given her an entry at Newbury on Saturday, in a one-mile fillies’ handicap. I’m hoping that the handicapper will drop her a few pounds when her rating is reassessed tomorrow morning and that should make this the right opportunity to go back into a handicap. It’s a straight mile on a flat track and I think this is what suits her ideally, so the plan will be to run, all being well.
10 July 2018
Paco’s Angel She ran a very disappointing race at Pontefract this afternoon. I thought she was as well as she’s been at home and was also looking well. Shane said that she felt great at the start, the first half of the race he was really happy but then she just couldn’t pick up at all. Shane didn’t feel that there was anything obviously wrong with her, it was just a very tame run. I was surprised at how much she drifted in the betting and that she was such a big price, as I thought she had a really solid chance and Shane told me that he simply couldn’t see her being out of the first three. My 2yo at Wolverhampton also drifted in the betting today, from 4/1 to 12/1, but he finished second. I thought Paco’s Angel was in the perfect race and was well in at the weights today, she would have been giving all bar two of the field weight if it had been a handicap and didn’t have much to find with the other two. The winner was rated lower than us at 95 and the third was rated just 85, so for whatever reason we just haven’t run anything close to our form. A couple of my horses have given me cause for concern in the last few days, but their scopes have been perfect. We will see how she is when she comes back and I will get her scoped and also take a blood off her to see if anything shows up.
Paco’s Angel Weight: 478KG. Paco’s Angel had a slight set back when she cut her hind leg which required stitches. However this is healing up nicely and she is back in full work. She is moving well and fresh as ever! I will enter her at Pontefract on 10 July in the 4yo+ Fillies only Listed race over 1m.
Paco’s Angel is fresh and well following her little hold up with that cut. She is cantering away and the next possible race for her is a 1m Listed race for 4yo+ fillies at Pontefract on Tuesday, 10 July.
Paco’s Angel had to spend some time in her box while her cut healed. That has put plans on hold for a little while, but I’m looking forward to getting her out again soon.
Paco’s Angel She was very fresh coming home and unfortunately scraped herself . She has been seen by the vet and had some stitches on her hind leg below the hock. She will be stood in for a couple of days while it heals, I will keep you updated.
Paco’s Angel arrived home tired but sound following her run at Musselburgh on Saturday. I decided that we would try and make the most of her draw and Shane made the running on her. The rain on the day was a surprise and wasn’t ideal, it was loose on top. She couldn’t get an easy lead and Shane said that she then slipped on the loose ground on the bend and it took him a little while to get her organised again. Ideally it would have been better if Shane had had the opportunity to slow things down in front and to save something for the finish, but she kept on for third and ran another solid race. She will probably need three weeks before we think about running her again.
Paco’s Angel is on target to run in the 7f fillies’ Listed at Musselburgh on Saturday, 2 June. I think the race could suit her as they should go really quick there, which is what she needs. I couldn’t be happier with her, she’s in really good form and is fresh and well.
Paco’s Angel is fresh and well following her run at Goodwood. There isn’t a great deal for her over the next month, the next suitable race is a 7f 33y fillies’ Listed race at Musselburgh on 2 June. The going is nearly always decent there and I think that what will hopefully be a strongly-run seven furlongs will suit her, they climb in the last few furlongs and that could play into her hands if they stop in front. There are more suitable races in July and August, just not a lot over the next few weeks.
Paco’s Angel is grand following her very good fourth place in the 1m Listed race for fillies at Goodwood on Saturday. We had hoped that the ground would dry out a little more than it did, Shane was delighted with her but said that the going was just too sticky for her. Shane also felt that she would have been suited by a stronger gallop. Even so, it was probably one of the best runs of her career, so I’m delighted with her and I’ll now have to have a good look at the programme book and try and find a good opportunity for her next time.
Paco’s Angel is moving well and seems to be in very good form, she’s sound as a pound and looks well. She has just got that slightly leaky sinus back, the same one that she had just before she ran at Royal Ascot last year. We will treat it the same way, maybe it’s a good omen for her!, but I think I may leave making the entry for the Ascot race next week as we need to try and get it dried up before she next runs. The Ascot race is also against colts, so probably will be a very hot race, but I plan to enter her for the race at Goodwood on 5th May and we can have a look at the entries. If we don’t like the look of it there is another race the following week to consider, which is a valuable 0-110 fillies’ handicap (Paco’s Angel is now rated 97) over the straight mile at Ascot on 12th May.
Paco’s Angel is well and sound following her seasonal debut run in a Listed race at Kempton on Saturday. At the time I was a little disappointed with the run, but not after hearing what Shane had to say and after watching a replay yesterday. Shane just didn’t feel that she handled the surface, which was riding very deep and like soft ground, and I could see watching the replay that just wasn’t getting any traction off the surface. She was a little bit keen early on in the race, but then settled well enough. I also feel that she has a preference for a straight track, and if she does go around a bend she has always had a tendency to prefer going left-handed. It was probably a similar overall performance to her seasonal debut last year, which was also on the all-weather. It’s mission accomplished to get this run under her belt and that she has come home safe and sound. Her next run is likely to be either in a Listed race at Ascot on Wednesday, 2 May or in a fillies’ Listed race at Goodwood on Saturday, 5 May.
Paco’s Angel Call me old fashioned but I believe the season starts at Doncaster, so therefore since Saturday 24th March we have a 19% strike rate and 73% of our runners have been in the winners enclosure. In general I have been very happy with the horses at home and it is fantastic to see this being mirrored on the racecourse. As everyone knows the weather hasn’t been of any help to us. I have not been able to get the horses on the grass and I don’t enjoy seeing the horses and staff getting wet every morning. The all-weather meetings have been a god send as I’m not very keen on running horses first time out on the heavy ground. They have to be very fit and it takes a lot out of them when we have a long year ahead. But putting the weather aside we have had a great start to the season and I hope it continues. Paco’s Angel is moving extremely well since she ran. She has really come in her coat now. I would like to run her Ascot on 2nd May in the Listed race. I will also enter her at Goodwood on 5th May as it is a fillies only race.
Paco’s Angel is very well in herself. She will do a little gallop tomorrow morning and as long as everything goes to plan I think we will run on Saturday at Kempton. There’s no pressure on us for her first run of the season, as she’s been off for a while, and it will hopefully set us up nicely for the season ahead.